With the full moon, so much should be done. As a new witch, it’s overwhelming how much you hear about what needs to be done on the night of the full moon. Crystals this, moon water that, charging this, spellwork that…
So how do you actually get anything done on the night of a full moon? Especially if you’re a closeted witch?
When I know a full moon is coming, I set a reminder in my phone. If you’re following a couple witchy accounts on any form of social media, they will definitely remind you as well when a full moon is coming.
So, now that a full moon is coming, what are you supposed to do? There’s so much that everyone else is telling you to do and you’re honestly a little lost. Take a deep breath. Depending on what kind of witch you’ve aligned yourself to be, that can help narrow down what you’ll want to do a full moon night.
Three things you’ll want to do, no matter what kind of witchcraft you practice are…
- Leave things out to charge. Anything you can’t leave in sunlight, like certain crystals, or tools, sigils,Tarot cards, etc.
- Leave out water to charge for some moon water.
- Appreciate the full moon and meditate underneath it’s light (outside is recommended but not required, if conditions are not feasible)
See? You’ve already done three things of what everyone is freaking out about. Personally, I leave what I can out all night. However, my cats do like to cause mischief, so if I’m charging water, Tarot, or crystals (if I had any), I leave them out for just a few hours under the moonlight on a windowsill where the cats can’t bother them, then pack them up before I go to bed so I don’t end up with a pool of water on my kitchen floor in the morning or playing 78-Tarot-card pick-up.
So what else can you do on a full moon night? Well, look into what other kinds of witches in your field of witchiness do.
If you perform mostly fire magic, maybe you’ll anoint and light some candles to supercharge a spell under the full moon.
If you do divination, maybe tonight is a good night to just charge your crystals in advance for a new moon divination spell.
Maybe you’re a kitchen witch, so you can do something special like make a moon-themed dish or recharge your cooking tools, or charge oils (cooking kind, not essential) for future recipes. I know there are a couple awesome moon cookie recipes out there and I’m if you ask, someone will share.
Maybe you’re so new you don’t know what you are witch-wise, or maybe you’re an eclectic/grey/hedge witch and have no idea what else you can do on a full moon night.
Some things I do that no body talks about…
- Write in my Book of Shadows/Grimoire about upcoming works or things I tried earlier that week that I’m waiting for it to manifest
- Shuffle through all my Tarot decks and shift their energy to release the old energy and take in the full moon energy
- Clean up my space; the full moon works wonders for my energy and I use that energy to clean all the weird nooks and crannies that I normally ignore, like the old cobwebs in the corner of my laundry room, or scrubbing that weird stain in the bottom of my sink in my bathroom.
- Sometimes I dye my hair or just try a new makeup look, just to see what it looks like.
- Self-care bitches! Do a face mask, take a bath (with or without moon water), treat yourself to a special treat for making it through the month, paint your nails, moisturize, pop that back pimple, knock over your ex’s mailbox, watch a rom-com, get laid… Just treat yourself.
- Dance naked under the moon light. Can’t go wrong there. Not only are you honoring those who came before but damn, who doesn’t want to be a stereotypical witch every now and then.
- Go gather some supplies. Full moon light is great for nightly excursions. Find some cool rocks or sticks, or gather stuff from your garden.
- Have a cup of tea. Whether made with moon water or not, just relax with a cup of tea (or a glass of iced tea if its too hot outside).
- Prepare things you need to get rid up in the coming waning moon, like old clothes and documents that need to be shredded.
- Prepare anything coming in your life like laundry, dishes, finances, appointments. Use the full moon energy to make sure you have everything on track.
Don’t be afraid to look into all the neat stuff you can do during the full moon. If nothing else, just chill in the moon light for 10 minutes and appreciate your place in the world.
If you are new at witchcraft and wickedry, then don’t sweat trying to do a big spell or whatever. You have time to get there and right now, you just need to work on yourself before diving into a prosperity spell for your aunt’s coworker’s niece.
Full moons are meant to be a time to recharge and be thankful for all around you. So charge yourself and your charms and your sigils and your spells to make it through the month.
If you still feel overwhelmed, then remember to use this time to chill. Soak in some moonlight and breathe. You’ll figure it all out before you know it.