This is probably the most important step when consulting a deck.
What the hell do I ask?
First things first, are you asking for yourself, or are you reading for someone?
I think the easiest way to determine what questions you can or cannot (more like shouldn’t) ask is based off of what kind of reading is happening?
If you are the one doing the reading, then I would say, you can ask any question TO YOUR OWN DECK THAT YOU ARE READING FROM IF YOU ARE READING FOR YOURSELF.
If you’re the reader and asking for a client or someone else, then ask only questions you are comfortable asking.
Think of Tarot like a spiritual Google. You can ask Google whatever you want. However, there are some things you won’t get any answers for (like winning lotto numbers or when you’ll die). There are some things you don’t want to know from Google (like cheaters and such). So how do you know what kind of questions to ask then?
Easy. Ask questions about…
- where is my career headed
- is my life balanced between family and aspirations
- what needs to happen from me for a certain result
- what am I not seeing about a situation
- what aspect am I not seeing in this relationship (can be romantic, familial, or platonic)
- what do I need to move on from
- yes or no questions (not in depth answers but easy enough to read)
- where is my life going
- what options should I consider
- out of my options which is better
- what do I need to focus on in my life
- is this option a good option for me
The most important thing about a Tarot reading is that you’re not trying to get all the answers to the universe. You’re working on getting answers about yourself.
Remember that some things are left up to chance and shouldn’t be rushed. If you’re worried about meeting someone or if your wife is going to leave you or if you’re going to lose your job, should you really be getting a Tarot reading instead of fixing the problems you already know about?